Saturday, October 27, 2007

It's Finally Here - Bring on the Graduate Exams

It's finally here. After two-and-a-half years, the culmination of all my learning comes down to 12 hours. On Monday I begin taking my comprehensive exams for school. I'm sitting at the office right now going over CMC theories (that's Computer Mediated Communication for you non-speaks) visualizing in my head what I imagine my question will be and how I'm going to tie everything together. I spent this afternoon at the library going over Persuasive theories and imagining how I'm going to tie that into advertising, and tie in a little CMC into that as well.

Dr. Jang and I went over the flow of my exams yesterday and here it is:
-Monday, 1 p.m. - begin my exam. I've decided to take my research question first. I think this is going to be my hardest question of the three and it's the only question I'm answering that day. I get 3 - 4 hours to answer that question. Essentially Dr. Christie has created a scenario for me, and I'm going to have to define my hypothesis (es) and research questions, then describe how I would answer those questions. Dr. J. says I need to pick one or two theories as well and talk about that as well. So that's Monday.

-Tuesday, 1 p.m. - part two of the exam. I answer my other 2 questions on Tuesday. One is going to be focused on advertising/marketing, with the highlight on persuasive communication and how persuasion plays into advertising. In theory it shouldn't be that difficult since I work in advertising and my entire job as a PR practitioner is to be persuasive, but knowing theories isn't what I practice every day.
My other question is a general overview question that Dr. Jang wrote that focuses on communication over distance (aka CMC.) CMC is my favorite communication-focus anyway, so this should be a good day. I just need to review my theories (which is what I'm taking a break from right now to write this) and know them inside and out for my oral defense.

So wish me luck! I'm hoping that everything will be fine, but there's always the possibility that I will tank!

No comments:

Post a Comment