Friday, May 23, 2008

It's so Hard to Say Goodbye

Last night was my last volleyball lesson and it's so sad to know I won't be going back next week. However, I couldn't have asked for a better ending. I'm in the beginner's class and there is an advanced class immediately after ours on Thursday nights. One of the girls in my class, A, and I are both pretty decent players (compared to the others in our class who have never played volleyball) and we usually stick around after class to ask questions, stretch, etc.

Well, last night our instructor was telling us where we could go play during the summer and he mentioned that he needed two extra people that night for the class, so A and I got to play with the boys. I can't tell you how great it was to play volleyball with people who actually knew what they were doing and who cared about doing it right.

Also, I don't know if I ever mentioned this before, but I have a HUGE stigma about setting the ball. For whatever reason I've always been afraid of doing it - and as a result I've really sucked it up whenever I tried to do it, and managed to jack up my thumb the second week of play (and it's still so swollen that I have a man thumb!) Last night though, I had some amazing sets. And oddly enough, I felt really good doing it. That's not to say that I'm really good at it; there is definitely room for improvement, BUT I think I may have conquered my fear of setting.

So... it turns out that I REALLY enjoy playing volleyball and I'm going to try and play as much as possible. I'm going to make it my mission to go to pick-up games every week and try to get on a team this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment