Saturday, September 6, 2008

A Letter From Africa

Yesterday I received my first letter from Africa. As many of you know, my friend Kelly is pursuing her life-long dream of serving in the Peace Corps. She left in June and as hard as it was to say good bye to one of my dearest friends for the next two-and-a-half years, I couldn't help but be proud of what she was accomplishing and what she will have accomplished when she returns. But that's not what this post is about.

Yesterday I got my first letter from Africa. A letter. A simple piece of 8.5" x 11" loose-leaf notebook paper that had handwriting on it. MY letter. With the advent of the Internet, the written form has gone by the wayside. I think probably my last piece of written mail came from my Grandmother when I was still an undergrad. I miss those letters and it's the one thing I'll never forget about my Grandma.

There is nothing as exciting as getting something with your name scrawled on it - you KNOW that person was thinking about you. You know they cared enough to write you a letter, mistakes and all.

So thank you to Kelly for embracing the new and posting about her adventures in Africa, but also for sending me my first letter in years. I will hold on to that letter forever and I'll be writing you one in return soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment