Sunday, February 8, 2009

Under Pressure

I've been feeling the pressure lately, as nine -yes, NINE - of my friends/acquaintances/colleagues got engaged since Christmas. Now don't get me wrong, I am excited for every one of them, but the pressure has really gotten to me.

During this time it occurred to me that I would crack like fine China if I had to endure this pressure under the ever-watchful eyes of the papparazzi. I mean, take Johnny Depp and his partner of 10 years, Vanessa Paradis. They have 2 kids, have been together an eternity - by Hollywood standards - and are just content. She doesn't "need a piece of paper to say we're together" and presents a brave face whenever she's asked why they haven't "made it official."

In my situation, I've cried. No brave face, just tear-stained cheeks. I'm blessed with a great partner, we have our life, our two "kids" and things are on the right track. But I am very aware that our friends are getting engaged all around us and we're not there yet.

I need to count my blessings and let things come naturally, but if I have to hear one more time that someone else I know is engaged, I'm likely to cut off all communication and sooth my nerves with multiple pints of Ben & Jerry's.

1 comment:

  1. Aawww! I know that feeling. There's something about the security of having a piece of paper, a ring, a plan. Don't feel bad for not being Vanessa...millions of dollars and a hideaway mansion in France probably have a lot to do with her "contentedness". You picked up and moved to a new place with new friends and bad weather. That says a lot!

    Your future is pretty certain, I'm sure! I have no advice for how to avoid the pressure. It doesn't get any better, it only manifests itself in the form of babies once you've got the white dress. You just have to sit back and take stock of your blessings and all the good things every once in a while.

    And then, move back to Texas and have a few martini's so at least you'll be warm and cozy!!

    ReplyDelete