Friday, February 8, 2008

Music Mogul Does Not an Adman Make You

I came across this article today in the NY Times announcing that rapper Jay-Z and IPG (one of the largest holding companies for PR and advertising agencies) are opening a multi-cultural agency focused on African-American consumers because many people don't get speaking to minorities.

I'm sorry, Jay-Z, but just because you've had success lending your name to market everything underneath the sun does not mean that you get advertising OR speaking to your audience. Yes, you came from Marcy and you've come from nothing to be one of the biggest names in Hip-Hop, but your view of reality - and more importantly commonality - is probably so far skewed now that you can't say with certainty what your community wants and how they want to hear messages.

Before everyone jumps on my back, I have to say that I LOVE Jay-Z; I think he is brilliant and he knows that all he has to do is put his name on something for it to sell. But that's what he's done: built an empire on his name alone. I've worked on launching and building the brand of a minority-owned-and-operated agency; it takes more than a name to make something successful. Here's to hoping that he's more than just a name; I look forward to seeing where he takes this agency.

1 comment:

  1. interesting. not something i'd have ever thought of... but you're right.

    it'll be interesting to see what happens :)

    ReplyDelete