Thursday, September 1, 2011

Recipe: Chocolate Dipped Coconut Macaroons

I have the world's biggest sweet tooth, so I'm always looking to try new recipes. When we were in Texas earlier this summer, my friend Mark ripped out a page of a People Magazine with a recipe for chocolate dipped coconut macaroons (Stephen told him how good these looked, so Mark made sure I knew about it!)

The recipe came from RHNYC Jill Zarin, so immediately I was skeptical, but the recipe was SO easy that I had to give it a try. 

Recipe Makes 24: 
2, 14-oz bags sweetened flaked coconut
1, 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
2 Tbsp sour cream
1 Tbsp heavy cream
1 1/2 tsp. Mexican Vanilla Extract (you can find this at William Sonoma)
1, 12-oz bag of bittersweet chocolate, melted (I subbed with dark cacao - 60% so the bitterness of the chocolate would balance the sweetness of the coconut)


1) Pre-heat oven to 325ยบ.
2) In large bowl (I recommend your Kitchen Aid Mixer), mix together all ingredients until throoughly combined. Press dough into a soup spoon or small ice cream scoop and release onto baking sheet. 
3) Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and cool. 
4) Dip one side of each macaroon in melted chocolate and place on a tray lined with wax paper. Refrigerate at least 20 minutes before serving. 
*Tip - I melted my chocolate in the microwave for 90 second and it worked brilliantly. 

So there you have it. An ULTRA easy, delicious recipe. If you like coconut, I strongly recommend that you make these immediately and share with those you love. I guarantee you'll be a hero. 

 

 

3 comments:

  1. These look great and yes I love macaroons. I was thinking next time I would make them with chocolate! Delicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't even like macaroons and those look good. What is with all the macaroon popularity these days? Macaroons are the new cupcake?

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum! i used to not like coconut but it's growing on me...we have candy at our office, one is Mounds and they are addicting!

    ReplyDelete